[FieldTrip] Help with ft_sourcestatistics

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Fri Nov 18 15:09:28 CET 2022

Hi Francisco,

The fieldname ‘avg’, in the source reconstructed data has a historical reason, but is a bit unlucky and misleading. Indeed it refers to the fact that the numeric data in the sub-structure reflects an average (across a bunch observations). In your case it is the signal power in the baseline and in the post stimulus respectively.

Now, if you want to run a permutation test, you need a sufficient amount of subjects (which in this case serve as the ‘observations’). This is what Stephan refers to in his earlier reply in this thread. Given that you used only 1 subject worth of data, the code throws an error (and correctly so), because there is not much to permute. To do a meaningful statistical inference you need at least results from 15 or so (but ideally more) subjects.

If, on the other hand, you want to perform the statistics within the subject (i.e. using the individual trials as units-of-observation for the permutation) you need to set up your analysis in a slightly different way.

Best wishes,

Jan-Mathijs