[FieldTrip] How to do statistical analysis of connectivity data with FieldTrip?

Jan Ostrowski j.ostrowski at uke.de
Mon May 30 11:10:02 CEST 2022

Dear all,

First of all, I'd like to thank the community for its support with
previous issues and the swift replies. It's been helping a lot!

Now, the actual problem at hand:

I'd like to statistically compare connectivity data corresponding to two
conditions from my paradigm. For that, I have already computed the
coherence from the preprocessed EEG data for every participant using
ft_connectivityanalysis. This has been done separately for both
conditions. The resulting structures look like this:

labelcmb: {1770×2 cell}
        dimord: 'chancmb_freq_time'
     cohspctrm: [1770×40×36 double]
          time: [1×36 double]
          freq: [1×40 double]
           dof: [1×40 double]
           cfg: [1×1 struct]

Now it seems that FieldTrip does not provide specialized functions to
handle statistical comparisons of connectivity data (please correct me
if I'm wrong!). So my approach so far consisted in defining a source
channel, extracting the data from the corresponding combinations, and
modifying the resulting structures in a way so that ft_freqgrandaverage
and ft_freqstatistics could handle them (I used cluster-based
permutation for statistical testing). However, this approach is not very
elegant and quite prone to errors along the way, as one has to keep
track of the modifications meticulously.

Is there any way of doing this kind of analysis with FieldTrip, that I
have not found yet? If not, have any of you done this kind of analysis
and can offer some advice on how to approach this? My goal is to
statistically compare the connectivity for every channel combination in
the data. I have been running that analysis on the whole time-frequency
spectrum of my data. Also, how would one go about correcting for
multiple testing in this instance?

Any advice or pointers are greatly appreciated!

Have a nice week!
Jan

--
Jan Ostrowski, M.Sc.
Department of Systems Neuroscience

Universitätsklinikum Hamburg-Eppendorf; Körperschaft des öffentlichen Rechts; Gerichtsstand: Hamburg | www.uke.de
Vorstandsmitglieder: Prof. Dr. Burkhard Göke (Vorsitzender), Joachim Prölß, Prof. Dr. Blanche Schwappach-Pignataro, Marya Verdel