[FieldTrip] how does the time-window work

Ivaylo Iotchev ivaylo.iotchev at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 14:11:54 CEST 2022

Dear all,

I am fairly new to the program fieldtrip and so far rather had used the
classical "spectrogram" function for most of my time-frequency analyses. As
I am now moving on to this advanced offer I am running up a curious
difficulty, which might be in fact just a misunderstanding of how the
program "speaks".

In short, I seem to get results for lower frequencies (< 4 Hz) only with
smaller time-windows, which is very counter-intuitive, but possibly this
has to do with my reading of the lines.

So far I assume that for
cfg.t_ftimwin (defining the time-window) the following line

7./cfg.foi, thus 7 cycles/time-window is the larger time-window compared to
1./cfg.foi, i.e. 1 cycle/time-window

Am I misunderstanding what is meant here by "cycle/window"? Or is this a
mistake of specifying some properties of the data and/or method?

Kind regards! And many thanks for your time if you have any :)

Dr. Ivaylo (Ivo) Iotchev