[FieldTrip] Restricting dipoles to cortex

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Wed Jul 6 17:57:56 CEST 2022

Hi Tim,

Not exactly sure what the optimal answer is here, but from your formulation I get the impression that you use ‘classical’ dipole fitting for the source reconstruction, i.e. assume a limited number of sources that account for the observed sensor data, and estimate their location and activity profile. The non-linear search for the optimal dipole positions is probably constrained to the innermost compartment of your volume conduction model (assuming that you are using a nested spheres model, or a nested BEM model). As far as I know there’s now way to further constrain the solution to a subcompartment of the brain compartment.

If, on the off chance, you are using a distributed source model (e.g. MNE) or beamformers then you can constrain the source model to the cortex or anything else that would be to your liking.

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs