[FieldTrip] Fwd: MOUS dataset source and head models

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Mon Jan 3 11:11:15 CET 2022

Hi Philip,

When thinking about surface meshes, there are 2 things to take into account:

1) the positions of the vertices, and
2) the way the vertices are connected (i.e. the edges), which is typically defined in terms of the triangles.

As long as the set of vertices is well-defined, i.e. each one of them is defined in relation to the other one (e.g. by giving them a unique index number, ranging from 1 to, say, 8196), the absolute position of the vertices can be played with. Also, importantly, as long as a 8196-node cortical surface is topologically equivalent to another 8196-node (note that this is not a given) surface, a parcellation scheme (e.g. atlas) defined on one surface can be directly applied to the other one (see below).

Of course, in real life situations, the positions of the set of vertices are defined in some coordinate system that relates to a realistic anatomical shape, but for the template registration this is actually irrelevant (and nor is it for the visualization). For this reason, often surface-based results are displayed on an ‘inflated’ cortical surface, to allow for looking into the sulci. Thus, the - what you refer to as template - cortical surface that you attached to your previous message is an inflated cortical surface, that is by definition not defined in any real-world coordinate system.

Surface based template matching takes place in topological space, where the subjects’ hemisphere specific meshes, which are topological spheres, are matched  to a spherical template. This spherical template has the most important cortical landmarks defined, to which the individual surfaces are morphed. These landmarks are fissures/sulci etc. This registration procedure is fundamentally different from a volume based registration procedure.

Now, I am not 100% sure that the 8196 node template in the fieldtrip distribution is in the same topological space as the topological space used for the MOUS subjects, but it could be the case (I am pretty sure it is). The reason I mention it, is that you give the impression that you’d like to define ROIs in MNI space, and use the fieldtrip template to identify the relevant vertex indices, in order to transport those indices to the data from MOUS. In general, I would discourage people to combine surface-based source models with ROIs (or atlases) defined in volumetric space, but it’s of course not forbidden. Should you want to walk that path, you indeed need to ensure that the vertex positions of template surface are in a well-defined coordinate space.

To verify this, you may need to visualize the cortical mesh in an overlay on top of an anatomical image that is in the desired coordinate space.

I quickly checked to verify that the surface mesh in FT surf = ft_read_headshape('cortex_8196.surf.gii’);
is in register with the anatomical template: mri = ft_read_mri(’single_subj_T1_1mm.nii’);

figure;ft_plot_ortho(mri.anatomy,’transform’,mri.transform,’intersectmesh’,surf);

Provided the template anatomy is in standardized space, and the surface mesh is in topological register with the ones used for MOUS, you should be good to go.

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs

[cid:D04A8CC9-5D25-4AFC-8849-1225780A5C90]

,