[FieldTrip] Source localization of resting state EEG data using lcmv beamformer

Stefan Dvoretskii stefan.dvoretskii at tum.de
Fri Feb 25 13:11:04 CET 2022

Dear Hanna,
as to my best knowledge, you can assume the data is stationary in the wide
sense for *short time periods*, e.g. 2 second time frames.
Because of this, one legitimate way we do it in our lab is to cut long
resting-state data (e.g. 5 minutes rs experiment) in small overlapping
windows (e.g. 2 second time frames with 1 second overlap). These are then
your "quasi-trials" you can calculate the covariance matrix on.

I have not applied common filters much but we had this idea too. I also
believe it is explained in Jaiswal, Amit, et al. "Comparison of beamformer
implementations for MEG source localization." NeuroImage 216 (2020): 116797
in some detail. Somebody else on the list might be more helpful on this.

I hope it helps you somewhat. Don't hesitate to ask any further questions,
if I can be of assistance.

Best regards,
Stefan
Research Assistant