[FieldTrip] Dealing with 1/F noise, when fishing for frequencies below 1.5 Hz

Ivaylo Iotchev ivaylo.iotchev at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 14:35:53 CET 2022

Dear colleagues,

alas most texts on dealing with this type of noise concern actual
electrical systems and not signal processing. It is evident that 1/f noise
is determining the main peak in our study and shifts as predicted with
segment length around the frequency spectrum. Still we observed an increase
across time for this signal which cannot be explained by noise alone and
corresponds with the literature on word-level language segmentation. Thus
we also sit and wonder if our true signal can be uncovered under the noise,
since the position of the peak itself is clearly determined only by the
noise... long story short, since most word-level entrainment happens around
1 Hz, what do most of you do to avoid interference/mixing with 1/F noise?

Bests,

Ivo