[FieldTrip] Beamforming / ft_sourceplot

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Fri Aug 26 13:08:54 CEST 2022

Hi Brilliant,

It’s hard to give a sensible answer here, but I would inspect at least the following aspects:

1) are the number of epochs pre/post more or less matched, and if not are they systematically different across groups?
2) how many epochs were there to begin with? If too few, the quality of the cross-spectral density may be insufficient to get a good spatial filter
3) does it really make sense to estimate a 5 Hz ‘oscillation’ using only 200 milliseconds of data?
4) does it really make sense on top of 3) to have a smoothing bandwith of 3.5 Hz? -> probably this is of no consequence because the intrinsic frequency resolution of 200 ms of data is 5 Hz to begin with.
5) were the channel topo’s obtained with the same analytic steps? Note: if you did for instance ft_freqanalysis with ‘mtmconvol’ in the method, and a t_ftimwin of >200 you have an intrinsically higher frequency resolution to begin with, which might lead to drastically different results.
6) have you inspected the individual subjects to see whether there are any outliers in any one of them?

Good luck hunting for any hints to explain the discrepancies,
Jan-Mathijs