[FieldTrip] PAC analysis with ft_crossfrequencyanalysis

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Wed Apr 13 14:59:59 CEST 2022

Hi Elisa,

Your questions  are not decorated with any insights about code/data, so it’s a bit guessing as to how to compile an answer to your questions that might help you further. I’ll try anyhow:

  1.   What is the minimum epoch length required to compute PAC (is 1s enough to compute the phase of 4 Hz)?

The sliding time window (which is not necessarily the same as the epoch length) should be sufficiently long to get a decent estimate of the phase at 4Hz. Thus, a cfg.t_ftimwin for the low frequency oscillation, to be used in ft_freqanalysis to compute the freqlo should be sufficient.

  1.
  2.  Is this computation suitable for tasks with a strong event-related synchronization? I read that ERPs should be subtracted from this analysis to avoid confounding effects but here I have reaching movements.

No, and subtraction of an ERP is not going to be very useful in my opinion. See: https://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/faq/evoked_vs_induced/

  1.  When computing PAC with Fieldtrip, I get the same value for the entire frequency band of the phase (i.e. same number from 4 to 8 Hz). This is despite the resulting MI matrix being N.channel*N.freqphase*N.freqAmplitude.
  2.  Since I would like to explore which theta frequency phase is mostly coupled with the higher frequency power, I would like to know why I get the same values and how to fix this as I could not find any configuration about averaging frequencies (e.g. cfg.averageoverfreq = 'yes'/'no').

This I don’t understand. I cannot comment on this without knowing more about the exact parameters used for the generation of the input data into the ft_crossfrequencyanalysis function.

  1.  If I manage to compute a meaningful MI, how do I statistically test whether it is significant?

‘Significant’ is always related to a null hypothesis. What’s your null hypothesis?

  1.  Last but not least, is there a physiological or computational explanation for the impossibility of computing PAC on different electrodes?

I don’t understand the question underlying this question: given some data, and a function, one could most of the time produce a result. In that sense it is always possible. Whether or not that result is interpretable, that’s a different question, but it probably does not depend on whether it was computed on electrode O1, or on electrode P6

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs

Thank you very much for taking the time to read my questions. I really hope to get some answers from you.

Best wishes.

Elisa

Elisa Tatti, Ph.D.
Post Doctoral Research Fellow