[FieldTrip] Sign/directionality of phase-slope index

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Wed Sep 8 09:00:29 CEST 2021

Dear Aliette,

Well spotted! The good thing about the discrepancy, is that one of the interpretations is correct at least.

Have you thought of trying to run a small simulation, to resolve the issue? In general I’d recommend that: ‘When in doubt, simulate’

So, I wrote a little matlab script, posted below, which should allow you to resolve the issue for yourself:

clear all;

% simulate some data
fsample = 1000;
nsample = fsample*30;

dat = randn(1,nsample+100);

data.trial{1}(1,:) = dat(1,1:nsample) + 0.1.*randn(1,nsample);
data.trial{1}(2,:) = dat(1,100+(1:nsample)) + 0.1.*randn(1,nsample);
data.time{1} = (1:nsample)./fsample;
data.label   = {'a';'b'}; % channel 2 is leading channel 1

figure;plot(data.time{1},data.trial{1}); xlim([0 1]);

% cut into 2 second snippets
cfg = [];
cfg.length = 2;
data = ft_redefinetrial(cfg, data);

% spectral decomposition
cfg = [];
cfg.method = 'mtmfft';
cfg.output = 'fourier';
cfg.tapsmofrq = 2;
cfg.foilim = [0 100];
freq = ft_freqanalysis(cfg, data);

% connectivity estimation
cfg = [];
cfg.method = 'psi';
cfg.bandwidth = 5;
psi = ft_connectivityanalysis(cfg, freq);

% visualization
cfg = [];
cfg.parameter = 'psispctrm';
ft_connectivityplot(cfg, psi);

So, I think that this should help you on the way. Could I ask you, once you have resolved the discrepancy for yourself, to indicate whether the function’s documentation needs to be changed. Also, the above code might be a good example to document on the fieldtrip website, under Frequently Asked Questions. Feel free and welcome to draft a little piece of documentation that we can upload as a new FAQ!

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs