[FieldTrip] Call for submissions to special issue on Replications (NeuroImage:Reports)

Mike X Cohen mikexcohen at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 18:34:02 CEST 2021

Replication is essential for progress in science. There are several reasons
why findings may not replicate, including sampling variability, limited
statistical power, cultural/population influences, and improvements in data
acquisition and analysis methods. Replication studies are our best attempt
at confirming or questioning the reliability of important findings.
Replication studies also provide a crucial mechanism for reaching consensus
about empirical support for or against a theory. Unfortunately, replication
studies are difficult to publish, because many journals judge them as
“lacking novelty.”

For these reasons, we have created a special issue that highlights
replication studies. We invite submissions that seek to replicate published
neuroimaging studies, regardless of whether the initial results are
confirmed. The primary criteria for acceptance are methodological and
statistical rigor -- not conceptual novelty. Novel results are also
welcomed, but authors must clearly state which analyses are replications
and which are novel. Researchers may use their own collected data, original
data from the to-be-replicated study, or publicly available data. We hope
that this special issue will help highlight the importance of rigorous
replication studies for ensuring progress in neuroimaging.

*Submission instructions*

The Neuroimage: Reports submission system is open for submissions to our
Special Issue from *01 Oct 2021*. When submitting your manuscript please
select the article type “*VSI: Replication*”. Please submit your manuscript
before *01 Mar 2022.*

All submissions deemed suitable to be sent for peer review will be reviewed
by at least two independent reviewers. Once your manuscript is accepted, it
will go into production, and will be simultaneously published in the
current regular issue and pulled into the online Special Issue. Articles
from this Special Issue will appear in different regular issues of the
journal, though they will be clearly marked and branded as Special Issue
articles.

Please see an example here:
https://www.sciencedirect.com/journal/science-of-the-total-environment/special-issue/10SWS2W7VVV

Please ensure you read the Guide for Authors before writing your
manuscript. The Guide for Authors and link to submit your manuscript is
available on the Journal’s homepage at:
https://www.elsevier.com/journals/neuroimage-reports/2666-9560/guide-for-authors

Inquiries, including questions about appropriate topics, may be sent
electronically to Dr. Yan Chao-Gan (ycg.yan at gmail.com).

--
Mike X Cohen, PhD
Fresh look: mikexcohen.com