[FieldTrip] interpolate missing grad positions

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Wed Oct 6 17:37:53 CEST 2021

Hi Fan,

Perhaps I need to rephrase my previous reply. If your recorded data has 269 sensors worth of data, rather than 275, a call to ft_channelrepair might give you 275 sensors (indeed if you use a template to specify the positions of the missing gradiometers), but you don’t improve the quality of your measurement.
At least, your source reconstruction will not get better after the interpolation, because you don’t have more information in the data, since the missing sensors are ‘created’ by linearly combining the data from the other sensors. You write in your e-mail that the forward solution will be ‘better’ with more sensors. I don’t think that this is true. With more sensors, your forward solution just has more sensors, nothing more, nothing less.
The point of rank deficiency, this cannot be solved with filtering after interpolation.

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs