[FieldTrip] Explanation about the Fieldtrip-SimBio pipeline.

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) janmathijs.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Wed Nov 10 17:57:43 CET 2021

Hi Yiannis,

We looked into this in more detail, and our conclusion is that the first row of the transfer matrix indeed is intended to be zero. That is, the low-level computations (in external/simbio) by construction compute the potentials referenced to the (arbitrary) first electrode in the electrode list. Thus the for-loop starting at ‘2’  in sb_transfer is intentional.

The aim of the FieldTrip code, is to return the EEG leadfields average referenced, unless explicitly defined by the user. Somehow this did not go entirely well in this case. We will fix this in the code. Thanks for reporting.

For now, in order to be able to use the computed leadfields in combination with the data, you need to ensure that the referencing scheme in the data is consistent with the referencing scheme for the leadfields. It would make sense to average reference both, or to reference the data against the first channel (as per the data.elec.label(1)).

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs