[FieldTrip] mutual information on LCMV virtual channels

Stenroos Matti matti.stenroos at aalto.fi
Fri Jan 29 10:19:53 CET 2021

Hi all,

I do not remember how mutual information is computed but maybe this is still informative:

Maybe the simplest form of signal similarity is correlation. Beamformer, in theoretical conditions i.e. as described in van Veen 1997 and the Sekihara--Nagarajan book, does not see correlated activity. So if our signal is produced by two sources whose time-courses are partially correlated, and we have a perfect measurement of the signal, the LCMV estimate shows only those parts of the two source time-series that are uncorrelated with the other source. In real world, noise, regularization, model errors, under-determination (more true sources than degrees-of-freedom in the measurement) etc. enter the game, but the theoretical property is still buried there.

So I am not surprised that LCMV estimate does not reproduce an MI effect.

Cheers,

 Matti