[FieldTrip] MNI Coordinates in Virtual-Sensor-Analysis

Yildirim, Devram devram.yildirim at stud.uni-goettingen.de
Thu Aug 26 00:00:50 CEST 2021

Dear fieldtripers,

I have a question about the use of MNI Coordinates from a literature for my virtual sensor analysis.

I followed all the steps from the tutorial, i.e. creating the mni-alligned sourcemodel. I did this so I could easily use mni coordinates for my virtual sensor analysis and in the end do a group analysis.

My question is now how do I use this coordinates from the literature for my analysis? Do I use it for each individual or do I use it on the template?

For example:

I found coordinates for the left IFG from a Meta-Analysis ( -56 8 8) in mm.
My idea was that I first use the template and search for the nearest grid point, e.g in this case it was grid point 21289 (-5.75 1 1) in cm.
Then I use this grid point for each individual in the grid.pos field of the virtual sensor analysis.

I am not sure if this is a possible way because of multiple reasons:

1: I can’t do this for the exact coordinate because there is no grid point for that. Is this still a valid grid point?
2: The coordinates from the individual are pretty far apart from the template (e.g. (-0.4 50 46.2)), is this normal? I checked if I used the correct template and also made sure that I used the mni-alligned sourcemodel with mni coordinates.

I searched a long time for a solution but couldn’t really be sure if I’m doing things right so far.

I would really appreciate any help and feedback.

Kind regards,
Devran