[FieldTrip] Neighbourhoods and Geodesic Arrays

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Wed Sep 23 10:02:22 CEST 2020

Hi Matthew,

The definition of neighbours for electrodes is always a bit subject to subjectivity, I’d say.

Ideally, indeed a distance-based heuristic is usually the best thing to do (as opposed to a triangulation heuristic). Yet, this is only really meaningful if the electrode positions are defined in 3D coordinates, rather than defined as a 2D projection on the plane (as in the layout you created from the picture).

One can debate as to whether (in the figure you sent around) (e.g.) LMPf should count as a neighbour to RMFr etc., particularly if the array is really geodesic. Yet, in the grand scheme of things, I don’t think that practically it makes too much of a difference in the final results (i.e. the inferential conclusion that you are drawing based on the statistical test). This despite the fact that the exact neighbours determine the ’shape’ of the clusters, but this counts for both the clusters in the observed data, and in the instances of the permuted data. Thus, the inferential conclusion based on a particular clustering scheme is valid.

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs