[FieldTrip] Granger causality with ft_connectivityanalysis

Maxime Fauvet maxime.fauvet at inserm.fr
Tue Sep 1 12:52:32 CEST 2020

Hello everyone,

I am Maxime Fauvet from ToNIC lab in Toulouse,
France, currently working on functional connectivity between brain and
muscles during movement through corticomuscular coherence analyses of
EEG and EMG signals. I am trying to perform a granger causality (GC)
analysis from those signals but somehow I cannot achieve to get a
complete time-frequency map of the GC.

I used ft_freqanalysis with the
following raw data and cfg:

cfg.method: 'wavelet'
cfg.output:
'powandcsq'
cfg.foi: 1:1:50
cfg.pad: 1000

raw data: 2 matrices of 17
trials and 3 seconds sampled at 1KHz, one for EEG and the other for EMG
signals, structured as required in ft_freqanalysis

After removing NaNs
from powerspectrum and crosspowerspectrum, and setting cfg.method:
'granger', I used ft_connectivityanalysis with the cfg and freq (issued
from ft_freqanalysis) arguments.

However, I receive the following
warning message many times:

Warning: Matrix is singular, close to
singular or badly scaled. Results may be inaccurate. RCOND = NaN.
>In
sfactorization_wilson (line 187)
  In ft_connectivity_csd2tranfer (line
267)
  In ft_connectivityanalyis (line 464)

The issue appears to come
from the matrix factorization function and more precisely from the chol
function, a Matlab core function. Interestingly, some points of the time
series do not trigger the warning message.

Can someone tell me if
anything is wrong with the use of ft_connectivityanalysis (either in cfg
or data)? Any help would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Maxime