[FieldTrip] Non-integer Frequencies in ft_freqanalysis

Todd Calnan tcalnan2 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 22:27:40 CEST 2020

Dear FieldTrippers,

I am working on calculating EEG frequency band ratios (ie beta-gamma ratio)
using the results of ft_freqanalysis on my dataset. However, I am trying to
include non-integer frequencies so that there is no overlap between the
bands, so that beta will go from 13.0 to 29.9 Hz and gamma will go from
30.0 to 54.9 Hz. When I try to set this up in the cfg variable for
ft_freqanalysis (attempting to do the inverse of the fieldtrip spectral
analysis tutorial), using

    cfg.method = 'mtmfft';
    cfg.pad    = 'maxperlen';
    cfg.taper  = 'hanning';
    cfg.foi = 1:0.1:100;    % go from 1 Hz to 100 Hz in 0.1 Hz intervals
    cfg.trials = 'all';
    cfg.output = 'powandcsd';
    cfg.keeptrials = 'yes';
    cfg.channel = (1:39)';

I still only end up with the 100 frequencies, rather than the 1000 that I
was hoping for.

Is it possible to break up the frequencies in ft_freqanalysis by more than
1 Hz bins to allow for more discrete analysis?

Thank you for any help.

-Todd Calnan

*Todd M. Calnan*
Database Analyst
Duke Center for Autism and Brain Development
Duke University School of Medicine
todd.calnan at dm.duke.edu