[FieldTrip] calculate DICS Beamformer on a group level?

Stephen Whitmarsh stephen.whitmarsh at gmail.com
Mon Nov 23 15:46:26 CET 2020

Hi Christian,

That's interesting. I'm sure more people on the list have had to deal with
a possible effect of (micro)saccades on occipital gamma sources. I hope
they can chime in.

Beamformer is good at removing EOG artefacts, yes.

Not sure beamformer will help to exclude the potential confound you mention
though. As I understand it, (micro)saccade creates perceptual motion or
something that is in any case processed in the visual cortex, creating
gamma activity; i.e, they are not ocular/muscular artefacts, rather real
signal brain signal, albeit not the one you are interested in, and a
potential confound. I guess it will be a real problem is there is any
indication or reason to suspect that (micro)saccades are more prevalent in
one condition/time period vs. another.

Perhaps you can analyse something like the variance (of amplitude (V) over
trials) of your EOG channels, to show there is no correlation/difference of
EOG activity when comparing your signal/contrast/timepoints?

There is another nifty trick you might try in this regard - when you remove
EOG artefacts with PCA, keep those 'ocular artefact' components and
combine them as you did the remaining components. Then analyse them as you
did your MEG. Any activity that was correlated with the EOG (to the point
of being part of those components), should not show any 'effect' in that
data. It won't be full-proof, but it is additional evidence against the
effect of EOG/saccades.

Good luck, and perhaps someone else can chime in as well.

Cheers,
Stephen

Op ma 23 nov. 2020 om 15:17 schreef christian.merkel at med.ovgu.de <