[FieldTrip] FIR filter default order

Andreas Widmann widmann at uni-leipzig.de
Fri May 29 16:01:32 CEST 2020

Hi Lucas,

> Thank you for your answer, which confirm what I understood about FIR filters (I read your paper before you mentionned it).
>
> However I still can't explain myself why this *wrong* default parameters gives me spectral amplitudes very similar to spectral amplitudes estimated with a Morlet wavelet transform (with n cycles equal to 7). While using FIR and setting m = 3.3/(df/fs) (m is then the same for all frequencies), gives me a very different result...
>
> Any insights or suggestions on this ?
There are various intricacies and versions of amplitude scaling in wavelet analysis (e.g. normalized frequency as in textbook equations vs. sampling frequency in the application etc.). My suggestion would be to start debugging with synthetic test signals where you know the ground truth, for example impulses, sine waves and white noise.

Morlet wavelet analysis can be implemented using convolution, that is, Morlet wavelets can in principle be (ab-)used as FIR filters (as STFT can be implemented via convolution; the only major difference between Gabor STFT transform and Morlet wavelet transform is the definition of time zero).

And you can compare your FIR filter coefficients (returned by ft_preproc_*passfilter.m in B) and your Morlet wavelets (real+imag) in the frequency domain (the example code in the supplementary materials of the paper should contain all necessary parts if I remember correctly).

Best,
Andreas