[FieldTrip] Imaginary Coherence and Averaging Over Time - to do or not to do?

Paul Dhami pdhami06 at gmail.com
Fri May 15 23:58:50 CEST 2020

Dear FieldTrip community,

please forgive my ignorance, but I have a question in relation to the
calculation of imaginary coherence, and certain plots I have been seeing in
the literature.

I've seen papers present what appears to be imaginary coherence values
averaged across time (where as the plot is a line plot of coherence values
against frequency for a pair of electrodes), as well as 'coherograms',
where for a pair of electrodes, a 3D plot is presented with time-frequency
and the colour being coherence values.

My question is then for the option of averaging over time, is there one
recommendation over the other (yes versus no). Or is it more of a
hypothesis driven choice?

Any insight into this topic would be greatly appreciated.

Best wishes,
Paul