[FieldTrip] Grand mean

Sarah Kirchler sarah.kirchler at gmail.com
Fri May 15 09:51:38 CEST 2020

Hi Jan-Mathijs,

thank you for your answer, I do my best to explain your questions.
The Problem is, that I don't have datastructures that I can combine (but I
would like to have them). So that's the primary question.

These are the steps I already did:
I measured, as mentioned before, with an EEG the visual stimulation via two
frequencies (SSVEP).
I preprocessed my data with ft_preprocessing (cuttet it in segments, did
filtering, concenated the cfg-Matrix with the trialinfo of my clean
preprocessed data and then, with a loop, I made the SSVEP-analysis for all
my subjects (ft_timelockanalysis and ft_frequencyanalysis).
I made the timelockanalysis for the two frequencies separately and for the
control-target (which in this case is something like a baseline-condition
for measuring the average activation of the subject-brains, so I can differ
the target-activation from it. Now  I added the Grand Mean:

gm_1 = ft_timelockgrandaverage(cfggm, tl1); gm_2 =
ft_timelockgrandaverage(cfggm, tl2);)

separately for the two frequencies.
I am now failing when trying to make the grand mean for the difference and
the sum of the two frequencies. I tried to make something like this for the
sum:

gm_3 =ft_timelockgrandaverage(cfggm, tl1, tl2)

but I don't think it's correct.
So I tried to make the difference like that:

cfg = [];
cfg.parameter = 'avg';
cfg.operation = 'x1-x2';
difftopo12 = ft_math(cfg, gm_1, gm_2);
figure
cfg=[];
cfg.xlim = [0.1:0.05:0.5];
cfg.zlim = [-2 2];
cfg.layout = '63equidistant_lay.mat';
ft_topoplotER(cfg, difftopo12);

But for this procedure I need datastructures for x1 and x2, which I don't
have.
(Fieldtrip: In the specification of the mathematical operation, x1 is the
parameter obtained

from the first input data structure, x2 from the second, etc.)

So I have a way that would work but not the datastructures.

I tried to make the datastructures like this:

tl1{vpn} = ft_timelockanalysis(cfg,data)       (vpn is the name I gave the
subjects when looping them for the timelock- and frequencyanalysis. --> for
for vpn = 1:length(cleannames)...)

and then to make the grand mean like this:

gm_1 = ft_timelockgrandaverage(cfg, tl1{:});

but it doesn't work.

I would be really thankfull if you yould give me some help to find the
error,

Sarah