[FieldTrip] Difficulty using "plotfiltresp" --- trying to plot frequency response curve on my data

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Sat May 2 17:04:40 CEST 2020

Hi Jonathon,

I don’t know what is going wrong. I have never used this functionality myself, so I would need to dig into it in order to check whether 1) I can reproduce your problem, and 2) to look for a solution.

Have you tried a different type of filter (e.g. ‘firws’) to check whether your issue is filter type dependent? As a background note, the ‘plotfiltresp’-option has been contributed by Andreas Widmann, who also contributed few advanced digital filters (which work much better than the default butterworth IIR filter), one of which being the ‘firws’. It could be that the plotfiltresp functionality has only been correctly implemented for the firws filter. If this happens to be the case, we can think about supporting this option for the other filters as well, provided the lower level code allows for this in principle. We look forward to any code improvement suggestions as PRs on github.

Besides, I’d recommend to use the matlab debugger, to investigate what’s going on. You can place a breakpoint somewhere in the code, and then step through it line by line. This way you can investigate whether cfg options are passed on correctly, and whether they are used to begin with. This is the strategy we would use to look into potential issues

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs