[FieldTrip] PhD and Postdoc Position in intracranial human electrophysiology

Randolph Helfrich randolph.helfrich at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 09:24:03 CEST 2020

Dear colleagues,

I am recruiting *PhD students and Postdocs* for my lab at the Hertie
Institute for Clinical Brain Research at the University of Tuebingen. The
lab is studying network dynamics underlying cognitive processing and sleep
physiology, primarily using intracranial human recordings. The positions
are fully funded for three years, with a possible extension.

For further information please see the job ad below and*
https://www.hih-tuebingen.de/en/forschung/independent-research-groups/junior-research-group-randolph-helfrich/
<https://www.hih-tuebingen.de/en/forschung/independent-research-groups/junior-research-group-randolph-helfrich/>*

Please help to spread the word

Thanks a lot

Best regards,

Randolph

PhD and Postdoc positions:

The Helfrich lab at the Center for Neurology and Hertie Institute for
Clinical Brain Research at the University of Tübingen is inviting
applications for fully funded positions for *PhD students and Postdocs* with
an interest in the neuronal network dynamics underlying cognitive
processing and sleep physiology. The lab is conducting cognitive
neuroscience studies in a clinical environment. Our key goal is to
understand the network neuroscience underlying higher cognitive functions
in the human brain. We are particularly interested in recruiting in the
following areas:

We are particularly interested in recruiting in the following areas:

*I. Rhythmic building blocks of human attention: How network oscillations
link perception and action. *Attention is a fundamental cognitive function
necessary to efficiently translate sensory experiences into goal-directed
actions . Traditionally, attention has been conceptualized as a constant
spotlight that amplifies behaviorally relevant information. Recently,
several lines of inquiry probing attention on a fine-grained temporal scale
revealed frequency-specific behavioral fluctuations that align with ongoing
brain oscillations, indicating that attention is a discrete process. Our
aim is to understand the structural and functional basis as well as the
physiologic purpose of attentional rhythmic fluctuations. *See also* *Helfrich
et al. **(2018b) Neuron, Helfrich et al. **(2019) Current Opinion in
Psychology*

*II. Context-dependent predictive processing in human prefrontal cortex.*
Over the last few decades, several lines of research indicated that the
prefrontal cortex (PFC) provides the structural basis for goal-directed
behavior based on endogenous predictions, but its functional architecture
is not well understood. Our goal is to investigate how predictions are
implemented in the human brain to optimize sensory processing and
goal-directed behavior. *Further information Helfrich and Knight (2016)
Trends in Cognitive Sciences; Helfrich et al. (2017) PNAS*

*III. (Patho-) Physiology of human memory networks during wakefulness and
sleep* Hippocampus-Prefrontal interactions are central to memory formation
in the human brain. Critically, this network also constitutes a
predilection site for various pathological entities that are associated
with memory deficits. Our goal is to further dissect and understand the
network circuitry underlying memory disorders in various patient
populations (epilepsy, stroke and degenerative diseases).* Additional
information see Helfrich et al. (2018a) Neuron; Helfrich et al. (2019)
Nature Commun.; Winer, Mander, Helfrich et al. (2019) JNeurosci*

*Key Methodology*: We are combining detailed behavioral testing with
intracranial EEG recordings in humans (ECoG, sEEG, Single Unit Activity) as
well as non-invasive neurophysiology (EEG, MEG) and electrical brain
stimulation (direct cortical stimulation, deep brain stimulation,
responsive neurostimulation). A methodological focus of the group is a
multimodal approach combining invasive and non-invasive approaches
(sEEG-MEG). We offer hands-on training on all aspects of study design and
data collection as well as state-of-the-art analysis methods of
electrophysiological data.

*Skills and qualifications*: The positions are well suited for candidates
from a wide-range of backgrounds, including biology, computer science,
psychology, medicine, cognitive- and neuroscience. We particularly
encourage applications from researchers with previous experience in human
imaging or primate neurophysiology who are seeking to apply their skills to
basic science questions in a clinical context with various opportunities
for translational application. Prior coding experience in e.g. MatLab or
Python is helpful, but not a pre-requisite. We welcome researchers with an
international background. German language skills are not necessary.
Tübingen offers a rich and diverse neuroscience campus, where key
facilitates (epilepsy monitoring unit and MEG center) are in close
proximity. PhD students will be enrolled in Neuroscience Graduate Center
Training School in Tübingen (https://www.neuroschool-tuebingen.de/).

The lab is headed by Randolph Helfrich, a clinician-scientist at the Center
for Neurology and Epileptology at the University Medical Center in
Tübingen. We are striving to provide a diverse and family-friendly
atmosphere, which fosters international exchange with ample opportunity for
collaborations.

If we have sparked your interest, please send your application, including a
CV, relevant certificates or diplomas and a cover letter outlining your
research interest in English or German to
*randolph.helfrich at med.uni-tuebingen.de
<randolph.helfrich at med.uni-tuebingen.de>*