[FieldTrip] 'avgoverchan' doesn't seem to do anything

Ryan Hubbard rjhubba2 at illinois.edu
Thu Feb 27 21:22:28 CET 2020

Hi all,
I'm having an issue running cluster analyses on some data I have. Following
this thread here (
https://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2013-July/006853.html),
it seems like I should be able to specify 'avgoverchan' in my cfg, and then
when I run a cluster analysis, it won't consider spatial information. In
fact, looking at ft_statistics_montecarlo, I see a section that states:

  elseif isfield(cfg, 'avgoverchan') && istrue(cfg.avgoverchan)
      % channel dimension has been averaged across, no sense in clustering
across space
      cfg.connectivity = true(1);

However, once we reach the "clusterstat" function this appears to be
completely disregarded, and it searches for spatial information. I don't
even see anything that reads the "connectivity" from the cfg in that
function. I then get an error that states 'invalid dimension of
spatdimneighbstructmat', as it is trying to look for channel neighbors to
form clusters. This is true for both timelockstatistics and freqstatistics
(as they both call ft_statistics_montecarlo).

This is unfortunate, because it would be good to apply these cluster
analysis functions to other time-series data (e.g. classification
accuracies across time) where there aren't channels, but temporal
clustering would still be useful. Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks,
Ryan

--
Ryan Hubbard