[FieldTrip] 3 x 2 Mixed ANOVA or MANOVA?

Paul Dhami pdhami06 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 18 20:14:06 CEST 2020

Dear FieldTrip community,

I have a dataset with a between (3 groups) and within (2 time points)
factors. I would like to test for an interaction effect in a mixed 3 x 2
ANOVA context. I came across this post:
https://mailman.science.ru.nl/pipermail/fieldtrip/2016-July/036592.html

The post suggests that to test for an interaction effect in this scenario,
I would take the difference across the 2 time points for each group, and
run a one-way ANOVA. Then to test for main effects, I would collapse the
appropriate factors.

I just was hoping to confirm with the community if this would be the
correct approach in my case? Or would I need to implement a MANOVA in my
case (as seems to be implied here:
http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/faq/how_can_i_test_an_interaction_effect_using_cluster-based_permutation_tests/

Best,
Paul