[FieldTrip] Amplitude of power (ft_freqanalysis) (Hoffman, Steven)

Antoine Ducorps antoine.ducorps at orange.fr
Wed Nov 27 09:51:47 CET 2019

Dear Steven,

The true reason of the formula Amp^2 / 2 is that the power estimation is the one of a continuous signal giving the same power. For example, the power you get from the alternating power line (rated as 220v in Europe) is the one you would get from a DC voltage of that amplitude (220v) when driving it though your device (eg simple resistor as a heater). As such, the amplitude of the 220v alternating  voltage is not 220v but 311v (220 x square root of 2).
Another way to see it is that the power is the integral of the the signal, i.e. the area « under »  the sinewave, which is clearly not the area you would get under of a DC line of same amplitude (5v in your case).
Hoping this helps,

	Antoine.