[FieldTrip] Magnetometers and gradiometers for source localisation

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Fri Nov 15 10:39:52 CET 2019

Hi Casper,

These are all very good and relevant questions. As a matter of fact, a group of colleagues and friends (i.e. methods people, epilepsy researchers and core developers of fieldtrip/mne_python/spm/brainstorm)) have been working on this topic on and off over the past years, meeting at Aston University, to try and understand the best way to do beamforming analysis on Elekta MEG data. We think that we now understand what’s the best way to approach this, and work is underway to disseminate this to the community.

In principle, gradiometers and magnetometers can be combined in a single analysis, but this is unlikely to be optimal. Reason: the different order of magnitude of the signals (which may be aggravated when changing the metric units of the data (e.g. going from T/m to T/cm for the gradiometers)) causes the covariance matrix (used for the beamformer spatial filter computation) to be differently weighing in the mags versus the grads. Indeed, if it’s deep sources you’re after, you may want to exploit the depth sensitivity pattern of the mags.

Some software packages address this by differently weighing the sensor types (by means of a baked-in default weighing scheme). A more principled way of addressing this would be to spatially whiten the data (and apply the same whitening to the leadfields). In FieldTrip this prewhitening can be done with ft_denoise_prewhiten, using the covariance estimated in a baseline window as the prewhitener. If the balanced gradiometer array is subsequently used for the forward computation, the same prewhitener is applied to the leadfield, so everything stays consistent.

One thing that is important to take into account, is the rank-deficiency of maxfiltered data. This can cause problems in the mathematical inversion of the covariance matrix, when done inappropriately. In order to have more flexibility in optimally inverting covariance matrices, we now have a dedicated ft_inv function (in fieldtrip/private), which allows for different ways of (regularized) matrix inversions. For maxfiltered filtered data, it would be recommended to use a ‘kappa’ parameter for inversion, i.e. to truncate the svd of the coviance matrix at (or just below) its rank.

Currently I am working on some documentation (that uses the Wakeman and Henson dataset) that demonstrates some of these issues. It will be presented at this years practicalMEEG workshop in Paris (http://practicalmeeg2019.org), so stay tuned! This documentation will become available soon.

Best wishes,
Jan-Mathijs