[FieldTrip] Post-hoc tests following a significant interaction

Paul Dhami pdhami06 at gmail.com
Mon May 27 21:29:54 CEST 2019

Dear FieldTrip community,

I have a 2 x 2 within subjects study design (with my two factors being
time and affective condition) in which I am hoping to use an ANOVA in
the cluster based permutation framework to analyze.

Since I have a 2 x 2 design, I have been following the tutorial:
http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/faq/how_can_i_test_an_interaction_effect_using_cluster-based_permutation_tests

as well as various previous responses on the mailing list.

In the context that I have an interaction in certain electrodes at
certain time points, my question is:

1). If an interaction is initially found, should the post-hoc (e.g.
simple main effects) be limited to the electrodes and time in which
the interactions are present, or would the simple effect contrasts be
run across all electrodes and time points as were run in the initial
interaction test.

Most of my simple main effect contrasts are coming up as significant
across various electrodes, I'm finding making my inference a bit more
complicated.

Thank you,
Paul