[FieldTrip] Group-level analyses of single-subject cluster-based statistics

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Mon Mar 4 09:52:19 CET 2019

Ciao Andrea,

I have never thought about this in much detail, but naively I would say that what you sketch is not a good way to perform statistics.

Using an inferential statistical test with permutations and clustering for FWER correction, the clusters are just a byproduct of the inferential logic. Strictly, the only thing that can be derived from the test is a binary decision: ‘either or not reject the null hypothesis of exchangeability’. Any downstream stuff done with the clusters (i.e. strong interpretation of effects based on their location, or a second level test based on masked data) is in my view not allowed. See http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/faq/how_not_to_interpret_results_from_a_cluster-based_permutation_test for more information (also check out the references at the bottom of that page).

What you could do, however, is to think into the direction of using prevalence statistics to do your inference (to get started you could check Allenfeld et al. 2016, Neuroimage, their code is on github). In this approach, first level permutations are used to estimate a distribution of a test statistic under some null hypothesis, and group inference is done using this prevalence framework.

Perhaps Bruno and Robin might want to chime in here (preferably in Inglese), rumour has it that they have contacted you offline about this, but I think that the community would benefit from being able to read along.

Best wishes,

Jan-Mathijs

J.M.Schoffelen, MD PhD
Senior Researcher, VIDI-fellow - PI, language in interaction
Telephone: +31-24-3614793
Physical location: room 00.028
Donders Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging, Nijmegen, The Netherlands