[FieldTrip] Intracranial Data

Arjen Stolk a.stolk8 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 17:54:11 CET 2019

Hi Raghavan,

Let me include the mailing list in this answer, as perhaps others want to
chime in. For instance, I have no experience with extracting monkey
cortical surfaces from MRIs. As for fusing the CT with the MR, all that
matters is that the two anatomical images are aligned to the same
coordinate system. In the protocol, the ACPC coordinate system is chosen
because it is a preferred convention for FreeSurfer, hence, both anatomical
images are aligned to it. Skipping the FreeSurfer-based cortical
extraction, it should be no problem fusing the scans in another coordinate
space, say the CTF coordinate space. The easiest way to achieve this is by
specifying cfg.coordsys = 'ctf' at step 4, instead of 'acpc', and leave out
the automatic conversion of the CT scan to ACPC from CTF (step 12). Make
sure to now localize the CTF landmarks (nasion, left, right ear canals) in
step 4 and not the ACPC landmarks. Finally, you might want to change
cfg.coordsys = 'acpc' into 'ctf' in the actual fusion call (step 13). That
should hopefully get you going and allow you to link the
electrophysiological signal to the monkey's anatomy.

Best regards,
Arjen