[FieldTrip] Coordinate system conversion

Eelke Spaak e.spaak at donders.ru.nl
Wed Jul 17 09:45:19 CEST 2019

Dear Mohammad,

You'll need to somehow obtain a transformation matrix from the
Neuromag coordinate system into MNI space. The Neuromag coordinate
system (like any MEG subject-space coordinate system) depends on
anatomical landmarks of an invididual subject, and is thus different
for different subjects. If you have a source model in Neuromag
coordinates, apparently somehow somewhere someone had access to the
individual fiducial locations and brain anatomy. It would be worth
checking whether you can obtain this.

*Alternatively*, you could take a template MRI in MNI space and
somehow manually realign that to Neuromag space, basically treating
the template head as if it were used during the actual MEG recording.
That will give you an mni-2-neuromag transformation matrix; taking the
pinv() of that will allow you to go the other way. I'm not sure this
is wise, though. (In any case, it will be suboptimal compared to using
individual anatomy; but specifically for the volume conduction model,
I don't know whether such a linear transform messes things up.) All in
all, creating a source and head model from scratch in the appropriate
coordinate system will probably be easier.

Cheers,
Eelke