[FieldTrip] EEG dataset with multiple electrode caps

Soren Emmanuel Wainio-Theberge swain083 at uottawa.ca
Mon Jul 8 22:36:23 CEST 2019

Hello all,

My name is Soren Wainio-Theberge, and I'm working in the Mind, Brain
Imaging and Neuroethics unit in Ottawa, Canada. I have a dataset where we
switched electrode caps partway through the experiment in order to obtain
fNIRS data on some subjects. There is some limited overlap between the caps
(a cluster of four electrodes in the parietal region and two in the
frontal), but for the most part the electrode locations are different. I'm
now looking to use cluster-based permutation testing with the whole
dataset, testing a correlation with a psychological variable. Is this
possible? If so, what would be the most sound approach? I can see three
options at the moment:

1) Convert all subjects with the fNIRS cap to the original cap by
interpolating those electrodes.
2) For each cap, interpolate the electrodes of the other cap to get a
common space with more electrodes.
3) Do the analysis in source space to avoid the electrode cap issue
altogether (though we only have 64 electrodes for each cap and no
individual anatomy, so source estimation won't be very accurate).

Which is the best option from the perspective of a) the cluster test and
multiple comparisons (ie does option 2 cause more issues for the cluster
testing than option 1), and b) the accuracy of the method in general (
interpolation vs source space)? Or is there another possibility which I
haven't thought of?

Thanks very much,
Soren