[FieldTrip] redefining data set

Stephen Whitmarsh stephen.whitmarsh at gmail.com
Mon Jan 14 19:01:23 CET 2019

Dear Martin,

Use ft_selectdata instead of ft_redefinetrial.

"cfg.previous.previous.previous{1,1}.previous.previous.trialdef.eventvalue(1,2)"
is scary! And I can imagine very inconvenient, as it will move deeper and
deeper in to infinite previousnessness.
Instead, one of the best 'easter eggs' (i.e. not so well-documented
functionality) of FieldTrip is to create extra columns of info in your .trl
when using preprocessing to epoch your data. These extra columns will then
enter into a field .trialinfo of your data. Most if not all functions, such
as ft_selectdata (selecting trials) will update that field. So I advice you
to put your eventvalue (as well as RT, response, etc. etc.) as columns in
your trialinfo (so same nr. of rows as your nr. of trials). In this way,
they will travel with your data, and stay in the same structure and on the
same level whatever happens.

Cheers,
Stephen