[FieldTrip] time frequency data looks blocky and stripy rather than smooth and swirly

Stephen Whitmarsh stephen.whitmarsh at gmail.com
Thu Jan 10 07:35:30 CET 2019

Dear P.,

I suspect this is because:
1) you are using half a second for your sliding time-window, which is
reasonable, but only have 1.5 seconds of data, of which you plot only one.
This doesn't give much room for 'fuzzyness' in the sense of changes over
time.
2) because you are not baseline correcting the results, you will mosly see
1/f power, i.e. more power in the lower frequency bands, which will be
relatively stronger than any changes over time.

To solve this:
1) calculate the TFR over a longer time-window, both before and after
stimulation onset.
2) use a relative baseline correction

That should hopefully give you the fuzzyness you want.

Cheers,
Stephen