[FieldTrip] PhD and Postdoc positions: state-dependent and adaptive neuro-stimulation, University Hospital Tuebingen

Laura Arendsen laura.arendsen at uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Feb 19 13:26:37 CET 2019

PhD and Postdoc positions: state-dependent and adaptive
neuro-stimulation, University Hospital Tuebingen

Our group at the Div. Functional and Restorative Neurosurgery,
University Hospital Tuebingen, Germany, unites neuroscientists,
engineers, computer scientists and physicians following a common goal:
To improve the lives of patients with neurological disorders using
state-dependent and adaptive stimulation of the nervous system. To
achieve this goal, we combine online-analysis of electrophysiology
(e.g. EEG, LFP) with non-invasive (TMS, tACS, tDCS, FES, NMES) or
invasive (DBS) stimulation. In order to strengthen our team, we are
looking for Postdocs and PhD students.

As a translational group, we work closely together with biomedical
companies to gain access to new tools, combine basic studies on
healthy subjects with clinical studies on patient populations, and
apply the knowledge gained from these studies to develop and refine
these new tools. Representative work from the last months: Naros et
al. Mov Disord. 2018, Khademi et al. Cereb Cortex. 2018, Kraus et al.
J Neurosci. 2018 and Guggenberger et al. Brain Stimul 2018.

What you can expect
• Design and evaluate novel brain stimulation paradigms. Investigate
the effects of these paradigms using electrophysiological data. Expand
the understanding of the human brain.
• Opportunity to work with in vivo data. Examine electrophysiological
signals from patients and healthy controls. We support your work with
a broad range of pre-build analysis tools and assist you in designing
your own approaches.
• Access to state-of-the-art technologies to generate reliable results.
• Join a team that is united by a vision: To enhance the understanding
of the human brain in order to invent and implement more effective
therapies.
• 3-year contract, third-party-funded in accordance with the German
public service collective agreement pay scale and your previous
experience.

Qualifications
• Team-player
• Solid understanding of statistical data analysis, digital signal
processing and/or programming principles
• Programming skills in Python or MATLAB and/or experience in applying
statistical tools, e.g. machine learning for data analysis.
• Experience with relevant techniques, i.e. tDCS, TMS, NMES, M/EEG,
and/or EMG.
• Master’s degree or PhD in the field of neuroscience, cognitive
science, biology, computer science, engineering, data science or
related fields.

Application
• Please send your significant application electronically (pdf-files
only) to tanja.mathis at med.uni-tuebingen.de
• Motivational letter including CV, publication record, names and
email addresses of three professional references, Transcript of
Records, TOEFL scores or other evidence of English and/or German
proficiency

Kind regards,
Laura Arendsen