[FieldTrip] loading fieldtrip data in SPM

Ioanna Zioga i.zioga at qmul.ac.uk
Mon Apr 29 21:42:53 CEST 2019

Hi all!

I'm trying to do source localization analysis on EEG data and I'm facing some problems when using SPM to create a template head model, as I'm not able to load the data in SPM.

First, I use the function spm_eeg_ft2spm to convert the EEG data from fieldtrip to spm data format. The data is saved as '*.mat' and it is:

"SPM M/EEG data object
Type: single
Transform: time
1 conditions
53 channels
2000 samples/trial
224 trials
Sampling frequency: 500 Hz
Loaded from file  *.mat

Use the syntax D(channels, samples, trials) to access the data
Type "methods('meeg')" for the list of methods performing other operations with the object
Type "help meeg/method_name" to get help about methods"

Then, I open SPM interface (MEEG), and click on 3D source reconstruction to load the data. However, the data aren't loaded and I get this error in matlab:

Error using spm_eeg_load (line 53)
File "*.mat" doesn't contain SPM M/EEG data.

Error in spm_eeg_inv_imag_api>Load_Callback (line 124)
D = spm_eeg_load(S);

Error in spm_eeg_inv_imag_api (line 53)
        feval(varargin{:}); % FEVAL switchyard

Error while evaluating UIControl Callback

I'm using SPM12 and MATLAB R2014b.

I'm trying to create a head model in SPM which I will be then able to use in fieldtrip to conduct the source analysis.

Does anyone have any idea why do I get this error, and how can I load a fieldtrip (or even EEGLAB) dataset in SPM?

Thanks so much in advance,

Best wishes,

Ioanna