[FieldTrip] Beamforming in FieldTrip and Brainstorm

Vladimir Litvak litvak.vladimir at gmail.com
Wed Apr 17 12:30:12 CEST 2019

Dear Ioanna,

I'm not well familiar with Brainstorm but you could use SPM12 (
https://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/spm/) to make a template head model that you
could then easily use in FT (as SPM and FT share the same forward
computation code), See
http://www.fieldtriptoolbox.org/workshop/meg-uk-2015/fieldtrip-beamformer-demo/
for
an example of how you get the head model and sensors to FT. To generate the
head model it would be enough to convert an example of your data to SPM,
load it to '3D source reconstruction' interface and go through the sequence
of buttons there as described in the SPM manual (
https://www.fil.ion.ucl.ac.uk/spm/doc/manual.pdf, p 121). You only need to
get up to the 'Forward' button, choose EEG BEM, press 'save' and then you
do:

D = spm_eeg_load('dataset_name.mat');

% convert sensors and volume conduction model from SPM
volsens = spm_eeg_inv_get_vol_sens(D, 1, 'MNI-aligned', 'inv', 'EEG');
vol1    = volsens.EEG.vol;
sens1   = volsens.EEG.sens;

Best,

Vladimir