[FieldTrip] Averaging over time with ft_freqstatistics and activation-versus-baseline statistics

Raphaël Thézé raphael.theze at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 14:02:24 CEST 2019

Dear all,

I have been trying to run ft_freqstatistics with ft_statfun_actvsblT as
statistic. Indeed I am trying to test the activation against the baseline,
but my trials have various length and my baseline is constant. Therefore I
have redefined my trials into baseline and trials, and I run
ft_freqstatistics with the parameter cfg.select ='union' since the two will
not overlap. I also want to use the cfg.avgovertime parameter in order to
reduce the time dimension, which is different for each trial.

However when I try to run the script with these two parameters I get an
error message as such:
'cfg.select ''union'' in combination with averaging across one of the
dimensions is not possible'

This error message comes from ft_selectdata. But if I go trhough the script
the option 'union' seems adequatly programmed for averaging over time. In
fact, if I shut this error message, the script runs fine.

Thus I am wondering if this error message is a vestige of an earlier
version or if there is a reason for not allowing the combination of the
two, and then why is that?

In advance, thank you for your insights!

Raphaël