[FieldTrip] problem with combing high_pass filter and log transform

John Begnoche jbegnoche at sralab.org
Sat Apr 20 04:53:51 CEST 2019

Hello,

I am plotting outcomes from a frequency analysis of resting state sensor space EEG data, for the analysis I use the code below, and then plot with singleplotER, if I first high pass filter my data at 1Hz during a prepocessing step, my plotting shows no activity until 35Hz then it spikes to a plateau for the rest of he higher frequencies, after a log transform I get a sine wave like shape. With no HP filter the data look like normal power spectrum data, why is the HP filter changing my data in this way?

    cfg = [];
    cfg.output = 'pow' ;
    cfg.method = 'mtmfft';
    cfg.pad = 'nextpow2';
    cfg.taper  = 'hanning';
    cfg.foilim = [3 50]; %change for appropriate range of frequencies
%     cfg.tapsmofrq = [2] ;
    cfg.keeptrials = 'no';
    %EEG_freq_segmented{i_run} = ft_freqanalysis(cfg, data_segmented_no_artifacts);
    %EEG_freq_segmented{i_run} = ft_freqanalysis(cfg, data_segmented);
  % freqfourier{i_run} = ft_freqanalysis(cfg, data_segmented_preproc_ICArm_no_artifacts);
    freqfourier= ft_freqanalysis(cfg, data_segmented_no_artifacts);
     %%%%%%log transform%%%%%%%%%%%%%
    cfg           = [];
    cfg.parameter = 'powspctrm';
    cfg.operation = 'log10';
    freqfourier    = ft_math(cfg, freqfourier);

Thank you,
Patrick

Confidentiality Notice: This message and any attachments are only for the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential, privileged and/or protected health information. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, please: 1) be advised that unauthorized review, use, copying, disclosure, or distribution is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful; 2) notify the sender of the delivery by reply e-mail or contact Shirley Ryan AbilityLab's Privacy Officer at 312.238.0766 or privacyofficer at sralab.org<mailto:privacyofficer at sralab.org>; and 3) delete and destroy all copies of the message and its attachments. Thank you.