[FieldTrip] Which subplot of clusterplot to take?

Sebastian Sauppe sauppe.s at gmail.com
Sat Sep 15 16:38:04 CEST 2018

Dear Fieldtrip list members,

I have a question on how to best produce a cluster plot. I have the results from a cluster-based permutation test of time-frequency data (ft_freqstatistics). When I run ft_clusterplot to visualize where my two conditions differ, a larger number of subplots is produced (in my case 12). These subplots have different electrodes marked as significant and I guess that they represent the development of the significant cluster(s).

I’ve got two questions and hope that someone of you can help with this.

(1) How is the number of subplots determined? I get, for example, 12 subplots from clusterplot but there are 23 time bins in my data.
(2) When preparing a plot to include in a paper, which one of the subplots should I best take? Or is there a way to combine them to show the fullest extent of the cluster? (I think it is not practical to include 12 or more subplots in a figure for a paper.)

Here is the plotting code I use:

%% plot the results of permutation test
% cluster plot

% prepare cluster plot
cfg = [];
cfg.alpha  = 0.025;
cfg.zlim   = 'maxmin';
cfg.layout = 'GSN-HydroCel-129.sfp';
layout = ft_prepare_layout(cfg);
cfg.layout = layout;
cfg.colorbar = 'yes';
cfg.marker = 'on';

% make clusterplot
ft_clusterplot(cfg, stat);

Best,
Sebastian

Dr. Sebastian Sauppe
Department of Comparative Linguistics, University of Zurich
Homepage: https://sites.google.com/site/sauppes/ <https://sites.google.com/site/sauppes/>
Twitter: @SebastianSauppe <https://twitter.com/SebastianSauppe>
Google Scholar Citations: https://scholar.google.de/citations?user=wEtciKQAAAAJ <https://scholar.google.de/citations?user=wEtciKQAAAAJ>
ResearchGate: http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sebastian_Sauppe <http://www.researchgate.net/profile/Sebastian_Sauppe>