[FieldTrip] Cortical Sheet for MNE source reconstruction

Annika Thierfelder athierfelder at tuebingen.mpg.de
Tue Sep 11 15:04:59 CEST 2018

Dear everyone,

I'm still encountering problems with my source analysis that I don't
know how to solve. When I try to interpolate the source back to the MRI,
it does not look at all the way it should (the sources seem to explode
outside of the brain). You can have a look at it here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WZ2WYkKkI8FfyNHmCgk7OnbPLb6iCZYT/view?usp=sharing

I'm using the cortical sheet provided by fieldtrip
(cortex_5124.surf.gii), along with the standard MRI and BEM. When I
construct a source model from the BEM (which is not what I want since it
distributes the sources evenly spaced but I tried it for testing), the
sources are all neatly inside the brain, so I seem to be using that
cortical sheet in a wrong way. Do I have to process it further? All
tutorials I found just do it like this.

Below you can find the processing pipeline I am currently using. Any
help is appreciated!

Best and thank you,

Annika

sourcemodel =  load('cortex_5124.surf.gii');

% compute the leadfield
leadfield = [];
cfg = [];
cfg.grid = sourcemodel;
cfg.headmodel = headmodel;
cfg.elec = chanlocs;
leadfield = ft_prepare_leadfield(cfg);

% I put the data through ft_timelockanalysis to have it in the right
format, although it doesn't do anything.
% The data I work with is resting state data, that's why I don't compute
the noise covariance here.
cfg = [];
data_prepared = ft_timelockanalysis(cfg, data);

% source reconstruction with MNE
cfg = [];
cfg.method = 'mne';
cfg.grid = leadfield;
cfg.headmodel = headmodel;
cfg.mne.prewhiten = 'yes';
cfg.mne.lambda = 0.1;
cfg.mne.scalesourcecov = 'yes';
cfg.elec = chanlocs;
source = ft_sourceanalysis(cfg, data_prepared);

% save into single structure to save memory
source = ft_struct2single(source);

% interpolate to the template MRI
cfg = [];
cfg.interpmethod = 'nearest';
cfg.parameter = 'avg.pow';
interp = ft_sourceinterpolate(cfg, source, mri);

% and do the source plot
cfg = [];
cfg.funparameter = 'pow';
cfg.method = 'ortho';