[FieldTrip] Rejecting BrainVision-marked 'Bad Intervals'

Daniel Matthes dmatthes at cbs.mpg.de
Wed Oct 17 14:48:29 CEST 2018

Hi Kate,

I did it in the following way:

First, I did a regular import by ignoring the 'Bad Interval' markers.

% -------------------------------------------------------------------------
% Data import
% -------------------------------------------------------------------------

cfg              = [];
cfg.dataset      = headerfile;
cfg.trialfun     = 'ft_trialfun_brainvision_segmented';
cfg.stimformat   = 'S %d';
cfg.showcallinfo = 'no';

cfg = ft_definetrial(cfg);
data = ft_preprocessing(cfg);

After that step I have all trials in my data structure, also the trials which have bad intervals.

In the second step I did this with the data:

% -------------------------------------------------------------------------
% Estimate artifacts
% -------------------------------------------------------------------------
events = data.cfg.event;                                                    % extract all events from the data structure
artifact = zeros(length(events), 2);                                        % allocate memory for the artifact array
j = 1;

for i=1:1:length(events)
  if(strcmp(events(i).type, 'Bad Interval'))                                % search for bad interval events
    artifact(j,1)=events(i).sample;                                         % create artifact matrix
    artifact(j,2)=events(i).sample + events(i).duration - 1;
    j = j +1;
  end
end

artifact = artifact(1:j-1, :);                                              % prune the artifact array to its actual size

% -------------------------------------------------------------------------
% Revise data
% -------------------------------------------------------------------------
cfg                           = [];
cfg.event                     = events;
cfg.artfctdef.reject          = 'complete';
cfg.artfctdef.feedback        = 'no';
cfg.artfctdef.xxx.artifact    = artifact;
cfg.showcallinfo              = 'no';

data = ft_rejectartifact(cfg, data);

These line are removing all trials with bad intervals completely from the data structure. But if you set the option cfg.artfctdef.reject to another value i.e. 'partial', you can also remove only the bad parts of certain trials

I wrote this code some time ago, today I would replace the for-cycle with some more effective code. But in general it should work.

All the best,
Daniel