[FieldTrip] Attempt at cluster analysis on seed to whole brain coherency values

Eelke Spaak e.spaak at donders.ru.nl
Mon Oct 15 13:22:13 CEST 2018

Dear Paul,

That all sounds good to me. Note that you could also have specified
cfg.parameter = 'cohspctrm' in the call to ft_freqanalysis, so the
renaming step to powspctrm was not strictly necessary.

One thing you'll want to keep in mind when doing this is that
imaginary part of coherency (ImC) is a biased quantity and depends on
the number of trials. So comparing two groups statistically will not
give you meaningful results if the number of data points for the two
groups is unequal. It's worth having a look at this paper which goes
into more details on this and related issues:

Vinck, Oostenveld, Van Wingerden, Battaglia, & Pennartz. An Improved
Index of Phase-Synchronization for Electrophysiological Data in the
Presence of Volume-Conduction, Noise and Sample-Size Bias. NeuroImage
55, no. 4 (April 15, 2011): 1548–65.
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.neuroimage.2011.01.055.

Cheers,
Eelke