[FieldTrip] Quick eloreta question

Robert Oostenveld r.oostenveld at donders.ru.nl
Thu Oct 25 12:45:03 CEST 2018

Hi Arno,

Let me CC this to the mailing list, as I think that it might be of iterest to others.

You should preferably be calling eloreta through ft_sourceanalysis. There you can see on line 1016 how it is called for ERP/ERF data with the data covariance (and elsewhere with the cross-spectrum).

The phase information is certainly not ignored: an obvious one that you need is the exact out-of-phase (i.e. 180 degree rotation) of the positive and negative channels that see the same dipole. So taking the “abs” is not appropriate.

But there is sometimes a reason to take “real” and ignore “imag”: For beamforming - where we scan with a single dipole - we do know that the dipole can only be in phase or exactly out-of-phase, which means that the complex part of the CSD cannot be attibuted to the source of interest. That is implemented with the ‘realfilter’ option in beamformer_dics (default=no, consistent with the publication) and beamformer_pcc (default=yes, because it works slightly better). Since we are not doing a scalar beamformer in most cases, but a vector beamformer (which can rotate in 2 or 3 dimensions), it is not obvious under which conditions realfilter works the best. A strongly rotating source has out-of-phase CSD coponents between the different dipole orientations, so in that case realfilter=no should be better able to reconstruct it. But in our data we (anecdotically) tend to get slightly better SNR at the source level for realfilter=yes.

For frequency domain eloreta you are estimating many source simultaneously, where the sources can have any phase relation to each other, so there is a priori no point in only taking the real part of the CSD. Hence it is also not implemented. However, if you were to hypothesize that the underlying source is very one-dimensional (as with an ICA) and not rotating, the same reasoning would apply as for the beamformer and you would expect slightly better performance ignoring the imaginary part of the CSD in the inversion.

best
Robert

PS the getting_started page on “loreta” refers to the specific Loreta software, not the inverse methods. Furthermore, it is >10 years old and probably outdated.