[FieldTrip] Combine multiple blocks

Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) jan.schoffelen at donders.ru.nl
Mon Nov 19 20:50:58 CET 2018

Pramod,

I don’t understand how ‘combining all the three blocks before the preprocessing’ would help you to preserve the channel positions. Apparently, these are different for each of the blocks in your case. It’s also not clear to me, why this is causes problem in your specific case.

Anyway, ft_appenddata throws the grad-field away, since it recognizes that the channel (and coil) positions are different in each of the runs.
If you still want to obtain some kind of ‘average’ representation of the channel position, you can use ft_average_sens. If the positions are not altogether too different, it might be OK to average the positions across blocks, although technically it’s of course incorrect to do so. Yet, if for each of the blocks you have applied block-specific spatial transformations (e.g. maxfilter) then it’s a different story altogether, and things will become hairy very rapidly.

Best wishes,

Jan-Mathijs