[FieldTrip] Sensor scaling in FieldTrip?

Robert Oostenveld r.oostenveld at donders.ru.nl
Tue Aug 21 13:15:37 CEST 2018

Hi Matii,

Good question, let me also CC this to the fieldtrip email list so that google might retrieve it for others in the future.

There is no automatic weighting of channels done in FT inverse estimation, neither for planar/magnetometer, nor for meg/eeg in more general. For the planar/magnetometer a known issue is that many people preprocess the data such that the planar gradiometers are defined in T/cm, whereas the data is defined in T/m. To ensure consistent units that match the forward computation code (which assumes SI units) you should use cfg.coilaccuracy in ft_preprocessing with a non-empty value (0, 1 or 2 are valid). When empty, units won’t be SI compatible (which is not a problem in many cases, but would be when combining different channels types).

The subspace projections in some (but not consistently in all) inverse functions predates the application of FT to Neuromag/Elekta/Megin/York_Instruments <https://www.york-instruments.com/elekta-to-sell-its-meg-business-to-york-instruments/> data. At that time different sensor types were not considered. The original implementation was used in combination with http://www.ijbem.org/volume7/number2/pdf/007.pdf <http://www.ijbem.org/volume7/number2/pdf/007.pdf> but I don’t think that the full code (from around 2004) survived. After that the subspace “machinery” has been extended here and there, but not with combined planar/magnetometer in mind.

Separate from this there is some code in ft_denoise_synthetic.m, ft_denoise_pca.m and ft_componentanalysis.m that relates to linear projections (for noise suppression) done on the data that also need to be replicated in the forward model (since the forward model should be distorted, just like the data). In that case the projections for the forward model are applied to grad.tra (and stored for reference in grad.balance).

Although I am not doing combined planar/magnetometer estimations, I suspect that my strategy would be to implement it similar to ft_denoise_xxx (which updates the grad.tra) and implement it as ft_sensorscaling or ft_prewhitening or so. The function would apply a linear scaling to the data, and apply teh same scaling to the data.grad.tra (and store it in data.grad.balance) and if applicable idem for data.elec.tra/balance.

Hope this helps,
Robert

PS See also this <http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0121048> regarding the linear projections when they are meant to deal with artifacts.