[FieldTrip] MVAR analysis on rank deficient EEG data (due to removal of ICA components)

Matti Stenroos matti.stenroos at aalto.fi
Tue Aug 14 15:32:32 CEST 2018

Dear Jord,

Indeed, if you drop components (= time-series & topography) away using
ICA, the rank of your data will go down. Matlab rank routine is,
however, not very good tool for assessing rank --- for example, even
mixing double and single precision floating point numbers in your
decomposition process may yield "full numerical rank", even though the
real rank is lower.

In my opinion, the easiest way to assess the rank is to use svd: just
take a measurement (or noise) covariance matrix C, do s = svd(C), and
plot s or log10(s). You should see a clear drop in the svd spectrum at
the point, when the "true rank" is reached. Then you can project the
rest out, and after that, also the rank function should show correct rank.

Cheers,
  Matti