[FieldTrip] non parametric testing

Robert Oostenveld r.oostenveld at donders.ru.nl
Tue Aug 7 13:43:37 CEST 2018

Dear Mehmet,

Since you have 19 channels for which you do the test, you have the multiple comparison problem. That means that you are not controlling for the false alarm rate: with more channels, the chances are increasing that one of the channels will have a false alarm and that yu will therefore make the incorrect decision of rejecting your null hypothesis.

A permutation-based nonparametric test using clustering corrects for multiple comparisons. An independent sample t-test does in general not correct for multiple comparisons, unless you adjust the critical value (i.e. Bonferoni correction).

If you have 19 channels, you can do the t-test with an alpha level of 5% divided by 19, i.e. 0.2632%

best regards,
Robert

PS please follow up questions like these on the http://fieldtriptoolbox.org/discussion_list <http://fieldtriptoolbox.org/discussion_list>, to which I have also CCed this answer