[FieldTrip] Electrode alignment to standard MRI template

Annika Thierfelder athierfelder at tuebingen.mpg.de
Thu Aug 23 17:25:37 CEST 2018

Dear Jan-Mathijs,

thank you very much for your help and taking the time, your code did the
job for me - it looks pretty good now! My electrode set wasn't in
ctf-coordinates, so I had to do it a little bit different but it worked
out well.

Thanks again and have a good start into the weekend soon,

Annika

On 8/23/2018 2:57 PM, Schoffelen, J.M. (Jan Mathijs) wrote:
> [...]
>> RPA [86, -20, -48]
>>
>> Also, the MRI is supposed to be in MNI coordinates, which I don't
>> understand why, because already the first dimension doesn't point to
>> the right. I feel like understanding why the coordinates are this way
>> would be a crucial step to solve my problem.
>>
>> I'm very thankful for any help on this problem. If I understand this,
>> I hopefully can figure out the rest myself.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> Annika
>>
>> On 8/21/2018 6:21 PM, Annika Thierfelder wrote:
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I started using fieldtrip last week to do EEG source analysis and I
>>> experienced some issues when trying to align the EEG to the MRI.
>>> Since we don't have MRI scans for our subjects, I used the
>>> standard_mri from the template folder.
>>>
>>> The solution that works "best" until now is to align the electrodes
>>> with the MRI fiducials and compute the BEM from the MRI seperately
>>> (I used bemcp for that since I work on windows, so dipoli doesn't
>>> run). However, when I plot the aligned electrodes together with the
>>> BEM head surface, the electrodes are in the correct orientation but
>>> they have an offset along the z-axis. I put the code I used below
>>> and uploaded the picture of the electrodes and the head model on
>>> google drive:
>>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=1b7Q3YGWGyzaa5oXeE-PfOOHNIDoFaLO1
>>>
>>> There are two things I'm wondering about now:
>>>
>>> Why are the nasion head coordinates in the MRI template [1, 0, 0]
>>> and not [100, 0, 0], which would make more sense (at least in my
>>> opinion) since the units are in mm and I thought the nasion is not
>>> supposed to be inside the head? The LPA and RPA values are [0, 83,
>>> 0] and [0, -117, 0] respectively, which seems perfectly fine to me.
>>>
>>> I have the feeling that the problem arises because the two
>>> coordinate systems of the data do not have the same origin. Can I
>>> shift the coordinate system of the electrode space before aligning
>>> them? I only found ways how to change the coordinate system of the
>>> MRI. I also tried to change the MRI coordinate system first before
>>> aligning the electrodes, but I found that I cannot create the BEM
>>> model with 'bemcp' anymore. It seems to throw an error if I give it
>>> an MRI with any coordinate system that is not 'spm'. So I kind of
>>> have the feeling that I need to get the electrodes into the 'spm'
>>> coordinates to match the MRI and BEM head.
>>>
>>> Thank you a lot in advance for your support!
>>>
>>> Annika
>>>
>>> PS: I know there has been a similar problem once in this mailing
>>> list, but I checked the suggestions and they did not work for me,
>>> also it seemed as if in the end it came down to fitting the
>>> electrodes manually there, and I suppose there can be another
>>> solution for this.
>>>
>>> ==================================================================================
>>>

>>> Code for the electrode alignment:
>>>
>>> %This is my how my electrode data looks like:

>>> vox_Lpa = mri_spm.hdr.fiducial.mri.lpa;
>>> vox_Rpa = mri_spm.hdr.fiducial.mri.rpa;
>>>
>>> % I know I can skip this step because I can directly use the
>>> head-coordinates given in the MRI template
>>> % I kept it because it doesn't make a difference
>>> vox2head = mri_spm.hdr.transformMRI2Head;
>>> head_Nas = ft_warp_apply(vox2head, vox_Nas, 'homogeneous'); % nasion
>>> head_Lpa = ft_warp_apply(vox2head, vox_Lpa, 'homogeneous'); % Left
>>> preauricular
>>> head_Rpa = ft_warp_apply(vox2head, vox_Rpa, 'homogeneous'); % Right
>>> preauricular
>>>
>>> % save the MRI fiducials as target structure for the realignment
>>> % in our data set, the LPA is named TTP9 and the RPA is TTP10, so I
>>> renamed them
>>> elec_mri.elecpos(1,:) = head_Nas;
>>> elec_mri.elecpos(2,:) = head_Lpa;
>>> elec_mri.elecpos(3,:) = head_Rpa;
>>> elec_mri.label = {'Nz', 'TTP9', 'TTP10'};
>>> elec_mri.unit  = 'mm';
>>>
>>> % coregister the electrodes to the MRI using fiducials
>>> cfg = [];
>>> cfg.method   = 'fiducial';
>>> cfg.target   = elec_mri;
>>> cfg.elec     = chanlocs_124;
>>> cfg.fiducial = {'Nz', 'TTP9', 'TTP10'};
>>> chanlocs_124_spm = ft_electroderealign(cfg);
>>>
>>> ===================================================================================================
>>>
>>> Just in case this is also of interest, this is how I compute the BEM
>>> headmodel from the same MRI template:
>>>
>>> % segments the MRI into three different tissue parts
>>> % creates binary masks for each point and tissue part
>>> cfg = [];
>>> cfg.output    = {'brain','skull','scalp'};
>>> segmented_mri  = ft_volumesegment(cfg, mri_spm);
>>>
>>> %% create mesh with different tissues
>>> cfg=[];
>>> cfg.tissue={'brain','skull','scalp'};
>>> cfg.numvertices = [3000 2000 1000];
>>> bnd=ft_prepare_mesh(cfg,segmented_mri);
>>>
>>> % compute headmodel
>>> cfg        = [];
>>> cfg.tissue={'brain','skull','scalp'};
>>> cfg.method ='bemcp';